Reserved Booths; Significant Changes Ahead

We are week away from our traditional Opening Weekend, and I for one am struggling a bit – 35 Days of Stay-At-Home is harder than it sounds. But I feel guilty even saying that, when we know so many are without homes or power due to the storms. By definition, none of us within the market community are built to sit idle - we thrive on the normally busy market season.

How the remainder of the 2020 Market Season will look is starting to come into view, although basic questions (when can we begin?) are still unanswered. There is some talk of national sports being cancelled for years to come, and for it taking up to five years before a vaccine/cure is available. All of that is wild speculation for the moment, but one thing we do feel is certain: for the foreseeable future, our historical approach towards our markets/events will not be possible. Social distancing, crowd aversion and conscious efforts to minimize public health risks are here to stay.

As such, we are expecting to make significant changes in the upcoming weeks. How long these measures must remain in place is outside of my capacity to predict – we will respond as quickly as our community will allow. But going from Closed, to Partially Open, to Perfectly Normal is going to take a very long time.

• All Reserved Booth payments are being halted indefinitely; your record of having a RB will be retained, and used as a priority mechanism for future markets.

• The booth layout for all Spring/Summer markets/locations will be changing. Once the markets reopen, you will not be in the location you were previously.

• New market layouts will have a minimum of 10’ booth spacing, with 20’-30’ aisles. Vendor capacity of most locations will be reduced by as much as 60%. Hours will be reduced, and face masks/other personal safety measures required (as specified by government orders). If you’ve seen a safety measure elsewhere, it’s likely going to happen here.

• Entertainment elements, themes, live music and other community-building efforts will be reduced or suspended. Onsite dining will not be allowed, but take-and-bakes will be encouraged. Much of the cultural fabric of the Market will be temporarily removed from our efforts. This is so very sad, but necessary to get pending approval for the initial restart phase.

• We are exploring expanding both Chattanooga and River Markets into both Saturday and Sunday events – this will double the opportunity, and disperse the crowds to more comfortable levels. Collegedale will likely remain Sunday-only, but we will continue to have those discussions.

This is just a start of the changes. My hope is that we can exit this modified market approach by September, and perhaps Oktoberfest returns as a full-fledged festival. That would make me happy – but I don’t see may other large festivals before then.

Market revenues are going to be off by 25-50% this season, and I believe we will be in an overall recession for the next 2-3 years. The depth and magnitude of that recession depends on how quickly we can get the economy back to work, what businesses survive and how long we remain under this health threat.

We hope to have more answers soon, and I will schedule a vendor video conference/social hour once we have an approved timeline. I am in full agreement that postponing Opening Weekend was the right thing to do, but am equally anxious to set a restart sequence so that we can begin to recover.

4 Likes

I had a feeling something like this was what was going to happen. It will be challenging but necessary.

5 Likes

I agree with Bonnie. This is so hard for everyone with no knowing in every direction.
I MISS EVERYONE!!!

3 Likes

Wow!! Yes, those are major changes. However, I do see how they are necessary. Thank you for keeping us updated on the current changes. From this, I can see how to try to plan the future of our business.

2 Likes

I miss you too. I hope you are doing well!

3 Likes

Just when I finally get a reserved booth!!! Thanks for keeping us updated. Grateful for you keeping everyone’s safety a priority.

3 Likes

This was expected. We are glad you guys are doing your best to re-open the markets eventually to full capacity. Thank you for keeping up informed and we will eagerly await we can meet again.

2 Likes

Your RB assignment will remain intact, just inactive – once we are able to return to historical normal, the market layout/booths will go back and your RB will be returned.

3 Likes

Thanks for responding. I had gathered that - I just meant to say that I was so looking forward to starting the market with a reserved booth, and sad I have to wait! But I’m also at the moment one of those immunocompromised people who needs to stay home, so I’m grateful that you are putting our health first…

4 Likes

Thanks Chris for the update and trying to work through the maze of requirements to keep us all safe. We all miss the market family and activity that goes with it. As one susceptible to this virus still look forward to getting back to normal.

4 Likes

So do you know who will be able to setup once we reopen yet? We’ve had a reserved booth for years, how will we know whether to come setup or not? I’m driving from Huntsville Alabama. Thank you for keeping us updated by the way.

1 Like

I am curious about this one too. Will we rotate so that everyone gets a chance to interact with their customers?

1 Like

Nope, don’t know anything yet. Baby steps

2 Likes

Chris, thank you. I’ll hold tight until you give us the answers as they come available. Thanks for all you and the team do. I miss seeing your face too!!

3 Likes

Ok thanks.Everyone stay safe

1 Like

Thank you for the update

1 Like

Is there any way we (The Chattanooga Market) could have an online store? I know it would take some book keeping, but maybe the Market could open one and have vendors sell through it. Hope this makes sense.

Susan

1 Like

Not really, given the timelines and complexities involved. Sales taxes alone make this quite a challenge.

One vendor is attempting to do this - I don’t remember where I saw the post, maybe FB, but we are not able to make this happen quickly. My best time spent is towards getting our markets reactivated with formal approvals.

2 Likes

Appreciate all you are doing to keep us safe. I believe we all miss being at the market. We are ready when you are. Gloves, masks, hand sanitizer and products are all ready to go. Let’s hope this ends long before we all believe it will. 1918 the Flu took too many lives, let’s do what we can not to repeat that part of history.

2 Likes

We have to keep everyone safe. People will always want to have a drink, or two and some fun. We are a cheap date for a few hours. We got this

2 Likes